Slider

Halloween and Fall Themed Books We Have Been Enjoying

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

With decor changes for the seasons, I like to also switch out the books in our book baskets. I keep one basket in the living room and one in the dining room. I leave 2-4 of our go-to books that the kids love in each basket, and then gather seasonal books from their book shelves and place them in the baskets so that they are easy to find. 
I wanted to share a few books that we have really enjoyed so far this season. I will try to link to them if possible too! I would like to share that I have only bought four of the books on this list. The others were gifted to our boys in some way over the past 5 years.

The only book I purchased brand new, and at full price, was "Five Little Pumpkins"  I found ours at Walmart last year. Parker kept singing a little tune that he learned in PreK...and then I came across this book with the same story, so I caved and bought it. It's surely a favorite though with its cute little rhymes.
I try to look for books at thrift stores, garage sales and our used book store. I LOVE buying LOTS of books, but our budget can't afford that many new ones...so I try to pay no more than $1 for a children's book. If it is one I have been hunting for, then sometimes I forget about my own little rule and break it ;)
Starting from the top left and going clockwise: 
"We're Going On A Leaf Hunt" by Steve Metzger - This is similar to We're Going On A Bear Hunt, and fun to read after we collect leaves on a walk. (gifted)
"The Best Halloween Hunt Ever" by John Speirs - This is kind of like a Where's Waldo or I Spy book. Parker and I both love these because the boys can do them without an adult since they don't know how to read. :) (thrifted)
"Johnny Appleseed: A Tall Tale Retold and Illustrated By Steven Kellogg" - It is hard to welcome Fall into our lives without talking about apples. (thrifted)
"Pumpkin Town" by Katie McKy - A fun story about LOTS of pumpkins. (gifted)
"Five Little Pumpkins" - Ours from Walmart last year came with a CD of "spooky" sounds but I can't find that one to link to.
"Sara Squirrel and the Lost Acorns" by Julie Sykes and Catherine Walters - This is another fun one after we have gone a walk and collected acorns. The illustrations in this book are super cute too! (thrifted)
"It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" by Charles M Schulz - My mom found this book for Parker a few years ago and it is fun! It has reusable stickers (see photo below) that they can place throughout the book! (gifted)
"Let's Shine Jesus' Light on Halloween" by Diane Stortz - This was either a gift from Parker's youth church leader or a prize from our fall festival at church, I can't remember but it is fun to ALWAYS remind our kiddos of Jesus, and so this will be a story that I will read again and again for years to come as my kiddos grow. (gifted) 
Happy Reading Friends!

Blessings,
Dakota XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Love this!! We did themed book baskets in the past too but stopped doing it for whatever reason. Might have to start again! Thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan