Monday, October 17, 2016

Fall Curb Appeal: On a Budget

I love seasonal changes. As each season approaches, I find myself saying that "I just LOVE... whichever season it may be"... I love them all and I am so glad that we live in a state where we get to experience all four.

To get in the spirit of harvest, pumpkins, and coziness we loaded our hoodlums up on a weekend and went to the local tree farm... who sells pumpkins in the fall :)
Each kiddo got one pumpkin that they will either carve or decorate when we get closer to Halloween. Plus we grabbed a few extra for cuteness :)

Parker decided he wanted a BIG WHITE pumpkin instead of a regular ole orange one... He must take after his mama! ;) Daddy had to help him of course.
This is seriously the best I could get with all three kiddos. 
After our trip to get pumpkins, they sat scattered around the entire front yard as the boys played "pumpkin patch" and their mother got enough gumption to place them strategically and look decent. ;) We had a cart load of pumpkins/gourds and three straw bales, this totaled about $45. BUT we did not have to pay an expensive admission fee to get into a fancy place with games, and such. Don't get me wrong, those places are fun, but with three kiddos under five...it's just not something we need to do every year. Our kiddos got to enjoy the "experience" and fun that goes along with picking out pumpkins, and they don't even know that they are missing anything! So... this counts as "seasonal" budget costs and "entertainment" budgets costs in my book! 
This little corner of our yard that meets the driveway is a place that I love to spruce up each season. The lantern was found at Gordman's, about 7 years ago. Our scarecrow came from the thrift store, $2.
These little wood slices give a little more dimension and rustic look to a simple pumpkin. They were leftover from my sisters wedding and I took them off her hands for a couple bucks each. The chair they are sitting on has been around for about 4 years. It was a $4 garage sale find, and has been used outside the entire time it's held up great to the elements! 
The corn on the cobs came straight out of our field. They missed a few stalks so of course I made Jerrad drive me out there to grab them! 
Here is a peek at another little display, this is up by the garage. Leftover wood slices again. The galvanized bucket was a Tractor Supply purchase awhile back... they were on sale and cute so I needed it ... poor excuse but that is what I told myself. I have gotten plenty of use out of it at least. This past summer it served as a foot rinse before getting into the kiddie pool! Corn stalks, again, forgotten in our field... so FREE for my decor!
I also decorated our mailbox with a straw bale, corn stalks, and a few pumpkins and squash but forgot to get a picture of that :) Parker never seen me decorate it... so he told my cousin that our neighbor must have done it... HAHAHAHAHA!
Have you put any decor outside for the season? Let me know!

Blessings,
Dakota XOXO



3 comments:

  1. Love your decorating skills! AND I was going to comment that "your neighbor really decorated your mailbox"...but you beat me to it! lol Looks great and I LOVE the wood slice idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! And it would have been so much easier if my neighbors really did decorate my mailbox!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete